What’s Keeping the Family Handyman Getaway Comfortable?
American Standard is proud to heat and cool the Family Handyman Getaway home.
For the past 70 years, Family Handyman has been the go-to resource for step-by-step instructions, trusted advice, and tips for do-it-yourselfers who want to tackle weekend and worksite projects. A subscriber survey found that more than 60% of its audience is interested in a second home or cabin, but skyrocketing prices kept them out of reach for many. The solution? They brainstormed the Family Handyman Getaway project to inspire readers to create their own escape.
Revealed on August 26, the 2021 Family Handyman Getaway is located on 14 wooded acres on the north end of a private lake near Weyerhaeuser, Wisconsin, about two hours east of Minneapolis. With lakefront property on a no-motor lake, there’s ample peace and tranquility — and it needed a house to match. When it came time to equip the property for maximum home comfort and function, the brand turned to American Standard Heating and Air Conditioning.
The 1,000-square-foot, 2-bedroom/1-bath home reimagines the traditional cabin as a modern, comfortable, and functional year-round escape that blends with a wooded environment. Although the footprint is small, vaulted ceilings give the interior a spacious feeling. Large glass windows and doors offer panoramic views of the woods and lake, while an insulated glass garage door opens from the main living space to create a seamless transition from inside to out. An enormous deck features tropical-hardwood-style composite planks for low maintenance and wraparound cable railings for unobstructed sightlines. The home includes a walk-out basement, a state-of-the-art kitchen and modern furnishings.
How American Standard Provides Year-Round Comfort for the Getaway
The Getaway was equipped with an American Standard system that’s perfectly sized for the house to make sure it can be enjoyed year-round.
A special feature is the dual-fuel approach to heating that allows the system to pick the most efficient heat source based upon outside temperatures. The heat pump does the job during the milder temps, while the furnace kicks on when the bitter cold sets in.
Products in the house include:
- AccuComfort Platinum 20 Heat Pump: American Standard’s most efficient heat pump — it’s Energy Star qualified — offers maximum comfort through variable speed heating and cooling technology. Ultra-quiet operation makes it ideal for the peaceful wilderness setting, too. Given Wisconsin’s winter climate, the unit is equipped with snow legs to keep the coils clear of snow and ice.
- Platinum 95 Furnace: Standing up to Wisconsin’s cold temperatures requires American Standard’s most powerful furnace — which is also its most efficient, converting up to 97.3% of fuel into heat. Variable speed fan operation ensures a steady flow of warm air. To ensure proper moisture levels in the home when the furnace is running, there’s also a humidifier.
- AccuClean Whole-Home Air Cleaner: Minimizes issues with dust, pollens, pet dander and even viruses by efficiently removing up to 99.98% of airborne particulates and allergens down to .3 microns. Certified asthma & allergy friendly® by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- Energy Recovery Ventilator: This component saves energy year-round. During hot, humid weather, the ventilator pre-cools and dehumidifies incoming air, and when it’s cold and dry, it recovers heat and moisture from the air that's being expelled.
- AccuLink Platinum 850 Control: In addition to daily schedules for energy savings, this smart thermostat enables a homeowner to control temperatures from anywhere with any internet-enabled smartphone, tablet or computer.
Add it all up, and the new Family Handyman Getaway offers the perfect escape for experiencing wide open spaces, nature, and freedom. Paired with American Standard’s reputation for customer satisfaction and reliability in heating and cooling equipment, the Getaway also offers the benefits of low-stress, year-round comfort.