Your air conditioner may run cooler, longer, and use less energy just by regularly cleaning the A/C coils. Be sure you’re cleaning A/C coils inthe spring—right before you intend to use it for the first time—to make sure you’re getting the most for your energy bill buck. You can do this at home by following this easy step-by-step guide, or it canbe done as part of a comprehensive annual or seasonal maintenance and cleaning visit from your local American Standard Customer Care dealer.
How to clean air conditioner coils checklist
Once you’re ready to start cleaning you’re A/ C coils, follow these steps:
- Disconnect power to the air conditioner. The shut off box will be located near the unit itself, and you may have to remove a fuse. If there is not a shutoff box, it’s best to call an American Standard Customer Care dealer to help perform maintenance.
- Trim away any plants growing around the air conditioner.
- Detach the outer case or access panel.
- Remove the top of the air conditioner. You may also have to remove the top of the fan assembly. If so, be sure not to stretch or damage the fan wire.
- Clean and lubricate the fan assembly. If you’re not sure how to lubricate the fan assembly, an American Standard dealer can come to your house to perform this A/C maintenance.
- Brush away surface dirt to clean the A/C coils.
- Spray and remove the trapped dirt on the coils themselves . Do this with water and a diluted bio degradable foaming cleaner. Spray it on and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes before hosing it off.
- Rinse away the cleaner from the coils.
- Inspect the coil fins for any damage. If by chance the coil fins appear bent, you can simply “comb” them out with a fin comb.
- Finally, reassemble the air conditioner unit.
Professionally Cleaning A/C Coils
An American Standard Customer Care dealer can come to your home to assess your current HVAC situation and perform thorough HVAC preventative maintenance, including cleaning A/C coils. While some maintenance can be done at home, it’s always best to get a professional opinion and schedule a maintenance check, just to make sure everything is running smoothly and you’re not left experiencing discomfort on days when you need it most.
Find a local American Standard Dealer you can count on.
Customer Care Dealers